The UN Decade of Ocean Science – Communication and Dissemination
Published 19 May 2021
Download the call
The objective of the call is to support dissemination and communication projects that increase ocean literacy among the general public and makes it easier to use research-based knowledge.
About the call for proposals
You can apply for a broad range of communication and dissemination initiatives or activities. The initiatives or activities are to disseminate research-based knowledge, to contribute to ocean literacy and to raise awareness about the Ocean Decade.
The objective of the United Nations Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development (2021–2030) is to increase ocean knowledge globally and ensure that society can use this knowledge, enabling us to achieve the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
Read more about the Ocean Decade at www.havforskningstiaret.no. See also the report ‘Proposed Priority Areas’, particularly Chapter 10 ‘Everyone understands the ocean!’.
The call is a pilot scheme in 2021 with a view to becoming an annual call for proposals.
We would like the projects to reach target groups with different backgrounds and interests, including groups that are not already interested in the topic.
Projects do not need to be affiliated to projects or organisations that already receive Research Council funding.
The Norwegian-language call for proposals is the legally binding version.
Who can participate in the project?
Requirements relating to the Project Owner
The Project Owner must have approved submission of the grant application. If the application is a collaboration between several organisations, the Project Owner submits the application on behalf of all the partners.
Requirements relating to employment
The project manager must be employed by the Project Owner or one of the partners.
Requirements relating to the project group
The project group must have expertise in both research and communication work within the topic of the application.
Requirements relating to sub-contractors
The Project Owner and any partners may hire enterprises to perform activities in the project.
What can you seek funding for?
You can apply for funding to cover the actual costs necessary to carry out the project. You can apply for between NOK 50,000 and 500,000.
You will find detailed and important information about what to enter in the project budget on our website.
Project costs are the actual costs for the Project Owner and any partners that are necessary to carry out the project. Funding can be awarded to partner enterprises in the form of de minimis aid as defined in the state aid rules. Both the Project Owner and partners (funding recipients) may purchase services from providers, and the funding can be used to cover the costs of such procurements without being restricted by the rules for de minimis aid. It is therefore important to clearly distinguish between service providers that are necessary to carry out the project and partners, when these are enterprises.
You may not apply for funding for:
- scientific publication
- conferences – we do not support activities that are solely conferences/seminars/meetings etc.
- the continuation of existing and/or already funded communication and dissemination initiatives
- communication and dissemination activities that form part of the researchers’ and institutions’ existing commitments under agreements with the Research Council, or
- communication and dissemination deemed a natural part of existing research projects
- initiatives that fall under the researchers’ general dissemination duties
Conditions for funding
Funding awarded to research organisations and other enterprises that engage in both economic and non-economic activities must go to the organisation’s non-economic activities. It does not therefore constitute state aid. The Research Council requires a clear separation of accounts for the organisation’s economic and non-economic activities.
Support will be awarded to undertakings as de minimis aid. This means that an undertaking may receive maximum EUR 200,000 in de minimis aid over a period of three years.
Before the disbursement of de minimis aid, the Research Council will request written confirmation and an overview of all other de minimis aid the undertaking has received during the three last fiscal years. For undertakings that are part of a group of companies, the maximum limit generally applies to the group as a whole. For more information about de minimis aid, see the Commission Regulation (EU) No 1407/2013.
The Research Council’s requirements relating to the allocation and disbursement of funding for the first year and any pledges and payments for subsequent years are set out in the General Terms and Conditions for R&D Projects.
Relevant thematic areas for this call
The funding must contribute to ocean literacy, disseminate research-based knowledge and be related or affiliated to the UN Decade of Ocean Science. Within the thematic area oceans, marine and aquaculture research will be prioritised, and within the thematic area climate and polar research, polar oceans will be prioritised. We would like projects that address one or more of the thematic areas.
A total of NOK 1,150,000 million is available for communication and dissemination of research that helps the general public to understand and be able to use research-based knowledge about (see information in the orange boxes below).
Marine research includes research on the ocean and coastal areas, including ecosystems, the impact of various influences, the value chain from harvesting to market, and social science research.
Other relevant calls
This thematic area targets the whole value chain from breeding and feed ingredients to consumption, including processing and the aquaculture market.
Other relevant calls
Climate and polar research
The main weight of polar research is in the thematic areas climate, the environment, marine biology, energy, global challenges and elements of policy design and implementation. Polar ocean projects will be given priority in the thematic area polar research.
Other relevant calls
Requirements for this application type
- The application must lie within the scope/satisfy the objectives of this call.
- The project group must have expertise in both research and communication work in the topic.
- The funding amount sought, expenses to be covered and any own financing to be provided must be in keeping with the framework of the call.
- The budget must be formulated correctly so that it clearly indicates what the funding will cover.
- The application form must be completed in full.
- The required attachments must be included using the dedicated templates.
- The project description must provide answers to the items set out in the text of the call.
- The application and all attachments must be written in Norwegian or in English.
- All attachments must be uploaded in PDF format.
- A complete project description using the template available for download at the bottom of the page
- CV of the project manager (maximum four pages, including a list of publications if relevant)
- CV with documentation of research qualifications (within the topic) in the group or that of partners if such expertise is not covered by the project manager – see previous point (maximum four pages including a list of publications if relevant)
- CV with documentation of communication qualifications in the group or that of partners if such expertise is not covered by the project manager – see previous point (maximum four pages including a list of publications if relevant)
- Confirmation from any partners involved in the project
We will not assess documents and websites linked to in the application, or other attachments than those specified above. There is no technical validation of the content of uploaded attachments, so please ensure that you upload the correct file for the selected type of attachment.
Applications that do not meet the requirements listed above will be rejected.
Grant applications will be assessed on the basis of the following criteria:
• The extent to which the concept is sound, credible and novel.
• The extent to which the project objectives are clear and relevant.
• The quality of the proposed deliverables from the project.
• The extent to which the expected effects are specified.
• The extent to which expected impacts on the system and societal levels are specified.
Knowledge sharing and exploitation
• The quality of the proposed communication and dissemination activities.
• The extent to which it is credible that the proposed outputs will contribute to the specified effects and impact.
• The extent to which the Project Manager and project group are qualified and have the necessary expertise and are positioned to implement the project.
• The extent to which management structures and procedures are appropriate.
Plans and management
• The extent to which the work plan is clear and understandable, and the time table realistic
• The extent to which objectives and measures are coherent.
• The extent to which the project has the support of the leadership of the Project Owner and any partners, and the allocation of roles in the project is clear.
• The extent to which the budget is realistic and appropriate, and resources are allocated so that each of the partners can fulfil their role.
• The extent to which potential risks have been discussed.
Applications will be administratively processed. The expected processing time is six weeks (it may take a bit longer during the summer).
When we assess applications for funding, we will prioritise projects:
- with clear target groups and concrete plans for reaching the target groups(s)
- that can highlight the project’s impact for the target group(s)
- with a clear link or affiliation to the UN Decade of Ocean Science
We would like the overall portfolio of projects to reach different target groups, to comprise different activities and forms of dissemination, and to cover all of the thematic areas in the call. We therefore assess the projects in relation to each other and the overall portfolio of projects awarded funding under the call.
Applications for The UN Decade of Ocean Science – Communication and Dissemination should be created on My RCN Web. Application templates should be filled and uploaded in the application.Create application