Support for Travel for Doctoral and Post-doctoral Fellows Participating in Emerging Leaders 2022
Published 13 Dec 2021
Download the call
The Emerging Leaders programme is an early career mentoring programme designed to provide young researchers with a framework for network-building, leadership development and an introduction to scientific opportunities and challenges in the pan-Arctic region. The Emerging Leaders programme will be held in advance of the Arctic Frontiers 2022 conference in Tromsø, Norway, and includes participation in the last two days of the conference.
01 Jan 2022
Earliest permitted project start
01 Jan 2022
Latest permitted project start
03 Feb 2022
Latest permitted project completion
About the call for proposals
Funding is available for ten travel grants in connection with the Emerging Leaders programme taking place 28 January-3 February in Norway in Bodø and Tromsø.
The Norwegian-language call for proposals is the legally binding version.
Who is eligible to apply?
Doctoral and post-doctoral fellows under the age of 35 (born in or after 1986) who are affiliated with a Norwegian university or research institute are eligible to apply. The applicant must have a particular interest in Arctic topics.
Who can participate in the project?
Requirements relating to the Project Owner
The organisation listed as the Project Owner in the application form must have authorised you to submit the grant application.
Requirements relating to project managers
The project manager designated in the grant application must be the doctoral or post-doctoral research fellow for whom funding is sought.
The research fellow must be affiliated with a Norwegian university or research institute.
What can you seek funding for?
You may apply for a travel grant of NOK 35 000 for participation in the Emerging Leaders 2022 programme. The amount is to cover costs for accommodation, tickets for the Hurtigruten cruise vessel, social activities, all meals and the first two days of the Arctic Frontiers conference.
Travel costs to Bodø and from Tromsø are not covered.
Reporting and disbursement of funding
Upon completion of the programme, grant recipients are required to submit a brief report to the organiser. The travel grant will be disbursed by the Research Council after it has received confirmation of participation and the organiser’s approval of the report.
Relevant thematic areas for this call
Climate and polar research
Requirements for this application type
Please note that it is not possible to revise and resubmit grant applications multiple times for calls for proposals with open-ended submission deadlines. It is therefore important that your application is completely finished before you submit it.
- Grant applications and all attachments, may be submitted in Norwegian or English.
- All attachments must be uploaded in PDF format.
Applications must fulfil the following requirements:
- The applicant/Project Owner must come from an eligible category of institution.
- The grant application must lie within the scope/satisfy the objectives of this call.
- The funding amount sought and the expenses to be covered must be in keeping with the framework of the call.
- The budget must be formulated correctly to clearly indicate what the funding will cover.
- The application form must be fully completed.
- The required attachments must be included using the designated templates.
- The project description must provide answers to the items set out in the text of the call.
- A CV for the project manager (research fellow), using the designated template found at the bottom of this page. This is to be uploaded as attachment type “Curriculum vitae (CV)”.
- A letter describing the research fellow’s fields of interest, his or her motivation for taking part in Emerging Leaders as well as the expectations the candidate has for the programme. This is to be uploaded as attachment type “Other”.
- A Letter of Support from the main supervisor or direct superior. This is to be uploaded as attachment type “Recommendation and invitation”.
- A summary of a thematically relevant presentation (maximum 2 pages). This is to be uploaded as attachment type “Project description”.
The summary will be used in the assessment of grant applications and as a basis for inviting participants to give a short presentation as part of the Emerging Leaders event programme. As such, the summary must contain enough information to assess its relevance to Artic topics.
The summary must show that the presentation:
- will promote dissemination of valuable knowledge within the thematic areas covered by Emerging Leaders 2022;
- will have high relevance and scientific merit;
- provides new or recently published data or innovations;
- is not of a commercial nature and does not advertise any specific companies, products or services.
Grant applications that do not satisfy the above requirements will be rejected.
We assess applications in light of the objectives of the application type in question and on the basis of the following criteria:
• The extent to which the concept is sound, credible and novel.
• The extent to which the project objectives are clear and relevant.
• The quality of the proposed deliverables from the project.
• The extent to which the expected effects are specified.
• The extent to which expected impacts on the system and societal levels are specified.
Knowledge sharing and exploitation
• The quality of the proposed communication and dissemination activities.
• The extent to which it is credible that the proposed outputs will contribute to the specified effects and impact.
• The extent to which the Project Manager and project group are qualified and have the necessary expertise and are positioned to implement the project.
• The extent to which management structures and procedures are appropriate.
Plans and management
• The extent to which the work plan is clear and understandable, and the time table realistic
• The extent to which objectives and measures are coherent.
• The extent to which the project has the support of the leadership of the Project Owner and any partners, and the allocation of roles in the project is clear.
• The extent to which the budget is realistic and appropriate, and resources are allocated so that each of the partners can fulfil their role.
• The extent to which potential risks have been discussed.
The applications will be subject to administrative review by the Research Council and the Emerging Leaders project coordinator. The final decision regarding grant funding will be taken by the Research Council administration.
In addition to the individual application review, an overall assessment of all the applications will be conducted. Importance will be attached to the following:
- ensuring that an adequate variety of relevant subjects are represented;
- ensuring that grants are awarded across different organisations;
- achieving the best possible gender balance.
The final decision regarding funding is expected to be announced by at the latest 20 December 2021.
Applications for Support for Travel for Doctoral and Post-doctoral Fellows Participating in Emerging Leaders 2022 should be created on My RCN Web. Application templates should be filled and uploaded in the application.Create application
Messages at time of print 26 January 2022, 05:56 CET