Research Council activities relating to industry-oriented research
Research-based innovation paves the way for renewal and restructuring in the business sector. Research facilitates innovation that can create value in a wide array of industries. Enhanced interaction between academia and industry forms the foundation for commercialisation of research results.
The Project Databank provides statistics and information about the projects funded by the Research Council within this thematic area.
Key programmes for this thematic area
Activities under the Research Council’s programmes extend across multiple thematic areas. The programmes listed here are the largest contributors of funding for this thematic area.
The ENERGIX programme seeks to facilitate the transition to a low-emission society and promote a competitive Norwegian business sector.
- achieve sustainable utilisation and efficient consumption of Norway’s renewable energy resources
- reduce Norwegian and global emissions of greenhouse gases
- enhance Norway’s security of supply
- strengthen innovation in Norwegian trade and industry and the public sector
- further develop Norwegian research and educational institutions
- high potential for value creation for companies and society
- companies willing and motivated to conduct research-based innovation activities
- companies with an international perspective
- companies that dare to take risks
Supports upstream oil and gas activities and has five thematic priority areas:
- greenhouse gas reduction, energy efficiency and the environment
- exploration and increased recovery
- drilling, completions and intervention
- production, processing and transport
- major accidents and the work environment
- knowledge-based value creation
- food security
- safe and healthy food
- societal perspectives, governance and markets
- fish health and welfare
- production biology, nutrition, selective breeding and genetics
- production technology and processing technology
- targeted initiatives: low trophic-level species, sustainable feed ingredients and safe and healthy seafood
- renewable energy
- raising energy efficiency
- carbon capture and storage
- social sciences
Promotes innovation by providing funding for long-term research conducted in close cooperation between research-performing companies and prominent research groups.
The SFI centres are to develop expertise of high international calibre in fields of importance for innovation and value creation.
Infrastructure that facilitates high-quality research.
- electronic infrastructure (e-infrastructure)
- scientific databases
- scientific collections
- scientific equipment
- large-scale research facilities, laboratories
- development of the agricultural, marine, industrial and health sectors
- biotechnology and society
- international cooperation
- industrial development
- expertise and infrastructure