Nomination for Two Postdoctoral Fellowship Positions in Japan
Download the call
01 Apr 2023
Earliest permitted project start
30 Nov 2023
Latest permitted project start
30 Nov 2025
Latest permitted project completion
The Japan Society for the Promotion of Science's (JSPS) mobility programme seeks to establish and expand contact between Norwegian and Japanese research institutions. The researcher exchange is based on an agreement between JSPS and the Research Council of Norway.
About the call for proposals
The scholarship can have a duration of 12–24 months (standard scholarship). The starting date for the postdoctoral stay must be between 1 April and 30 November 2023.
All fields in the humanities, social sciences and natural sciences are included under this programme.
You must read these documents carefully before applying:
The application deadline is midnight 25 January 2023.
The Norwegian-language call for proposals is the legally binding version.
Who is eligible to apply?
Only approved Norwegian research organisations can apply. See the list of approved research organisations.
The Norwegian research organisation applies on behalf of the nominee/candidate. The organisations's project administrator is the primary contact person for the Research Council.
Who can participate in the project?
You may apply for fellowships for Norwegian researchers who are qualified for postdoctoral positions. In addition, applicants
- must be affiliated with a Norwegian research organisation;
- must have established contact and agreed on a research plan with researchers in Japan prior to submitting a grant application;
- must have completed their doctorate within the past six years;
- must conduct research within the humanities, social sciences, natural sciences or technology.
Previous recipients of a JSPS postdoctoral fellowship are not eligible to apply for a fellowship again.
What can you seek funding for?
Funding will be awarded to cover the following:
- a round trip air ticket (based on JSPS regulations)
- a monthly maintenance allowance of JPY 362 000
- a settling-in allowance of JPY 200 000
- overseas travel, accident and sickness insurance coverage
Fellowships may have a duration of 12–24 months (standard fellowship). The postdoctoral research stay must begin in the period from 1 April 2023 to 30 November 2023.
Relevant thematic areas for this call
Requirements for this application type
The FY2023 Application Form for JSPS International Fellowships for Research in Japan, Postdoctoral Fellowships for Research in Japan (Standard), is to be filled in, attached and submitted with the electronic grant application to the Research Council of Norway.
Please read all the information from JSPS carefully to ensure that you satisfy the formal requirements and have included all mandatory attachments.
- The Project Owner and Project Manager must be within the categories set out in this call.
- The grant application must lie within the scope of this call.
- The amount sought and any own financing must be in accordance with the requirements set out in this call.
- The budget must be filled in correctly so that it is clear what the amount sought will cover.
- The grant application must be completed in full.
- All attachments must be submitted, using the correct templates.
- The project description must respond to the call.
- All attachments must be uploaded in PDF format.
- The grant application, including all attachments, must be submitted in English.
- The JSPS application form (maximum 10 pages), to be uploaded under "Project description". The template "FY2023 Application Form (Standard)" can be found below.
- Other mandatory attachments as specified by JSPS, to be uploaded under "Other items" (no maximum number of pages, but attachments may not exceed 40 Mb)
All attachments must be submitted together with the grant application. We will not accept attachments submitted after the deadline for applications unless we have requested further information.
Attachments other than the mandatory and optional attachments specified above, as well as any links to websites in the grant application, will not be included in the application review process.
We assess applications in light of the objectives of the call for proposals and on the basis of the following criteria:
• The extent to which the concept is sound, credible and novel.
• The extent to which the project objectives are clear and relevant.
• The quality of the proposed deliverables from the project.
• The extent to which the expected effects are specified.
• The extent to which expected impacts on the system and societal levels are specified.
Knowledge sharing and exploitation
• The quality of the proposed communication and dissemination activities.
• The extent to which it is credible that the proposed outputs will contribute to the specified effects and impact.
• The extent to which the Project Manager and project group are qualified and have the necessary expertise and are positioned to implement the project.
• The extent to which management structures and procedures are appropriate.
Plans and management
• The extent to which the work plan is clear and understandable, and the time table realistic
• The extent to which objectives and measures are coherent.
• The extent to which the project has the support of the leadership of the Project Owner and any partners, and the allocation of roles in the project is clear.
• The extent to which the budget is realistic and appropriate, and resources are allocated so that each of the partners can fulfil their role.
• The extent to which potential risks have been discussed.
The Research Council will conduct a preliminary application review and nominate fellowship candidates. JSPS is responsible for taking the final decision on grant allocations. Grant applications that do not satisfy the formal requirements stipulated in the information from JSPS or this call for proposals will be rejected.
If an applicant is nominated by the Research Council of Norway for the JSPS post-doctoral fellowship, his or her application and mandatory attachments will be forwarded to JSPS for further processing.
Application processing time is normally three months.
Messages at time of print 2 February 2023, 23:13 CET
For the application deadline 8 February, we manage our hotline +47 22 03 72 00 from Thursday 2 February till Tuesday 7 February at CET 08.00–15.45 and Wednesday 8 February at CET 08.00-13.00.