Doctoral Research Fellowships

The Research Council’s call for proposals will specify whether an application for funding may include a doctoral research fellowship position. The Project Owner (formal applicant) or a project partner is responsible for employment of research fellows.

The Research Council provides support for doctoral research fellowship positions for up to three person-years. Any costs relating to work obligations imposed by the degree-conferring organisation must be covered directly by the organisation.

Doctoral fellows who are intending to complete their degree in Norway are expected to incorporate research visit(s) abroad into their fellowship period.

If the organisation serving as the Project Owner does not confer doctoral degrees itself, it must sign a written agreement with the university or specialised university college where the doctoral fellow will be completing his/her degree.

The Research Council’s support for payroll and indirect expenses relating to research fellowship positions may not exceed the amount of the lump-sum allocation (see Rates for Funding of Research Fellowships). The Research Council may provide support for other project-related costs for research fellows, such as use of equipment and travel and accommodation/board.
The Research Council will only provide support to doctoral fellows who have not previously completed a doctoral degree/Ph.D.

More information regarding the coronavirus pandemic
We wish to be supportive and help doctoral and postdoctoral candidates finish their degrees. As long as the institution listed as the employer agrees, the fellowship period may be extended for corona-related reasons. The period for postdoctoral candidates may be extended, but the total period for the fellowship cannot exceed four years.