Research Council activities relating to ICT
Information and communications technology (ICT) is an important driver of restructuring and innovation in industry, society and the lives of individuals. The Research Council works to promote relevant expertise, build specialist groups and ensure that research results are applied in practice through coordination between research stakeholders, industry and the public sector.
The Project Databank provides statistics and information about the projects funded by the Research Council within this thematic area.
Key programmes for this thematic area
Activities under the Research Council’s programmes extend across multiple thematic areas. The programmes listed here are the largest contributors of funding for this thematic area.
The IKTPLUSS initiative is the Research Council’s large-scale strategic initiative on information technology and digital innovation. Its objectives are to enhance quality, promote bold thinking, and increase the relevance of Norwegian ICT research.
Infrastructure that facilitates high-quality research.
- electronic infrastructure (e-infrastructure)
- scientific databases
- scientific collections
- scientific equipment
- large-scale research facilities, laboratories
- high potential for value creation for companies and society
- companies willing and motivated to conduct research-based innovation activities
- companies with an international perspective
- companies that dare to take risks
Promotes innovation by providing funding for long-term research conducted in close cooperation between research-performing companies and prominent research groups.
The SFI centres are to develop expertise of high international calibre in fields of importance for innovation and value creation.
Supports upstream oil and gas activities and has five thematic priority areas:
- greenhouse gas reduction, energy efficiency and the environment
- exploration and increased recovery
- drilling, completions and intervention
- production, processing and transport
- major accidents and the work environment
- scientific quality at the forefront of international research
- boldness in scientific thinking and innovation
- careers for young research talents