How to carry out a research project
Start by finding a good topic. Try to come up with a question or problem area where you can contribute something new and original.
- Formulate a clear problem statement you wish to explore.
- You are to use scientific method to find answers to your problem statement.
- Your objective should be to generate new knowledge or integrate existing knowledge in new ways, not to reproduce or gather existing knowledge to demonstrate what you have learned about your topic.
Scientific method for lower secondary schools
Is this the first time you have carried out a research project? Start by following these six steps:
- Choose a question or problem area to research;
- Form a hypothesis;
- Select a method, plan and collect the data;
- Analyse the data collected;
- Summarise your observations and draw a conclusion;
- Write a project report and communicate the results.