Svalbard Strategic Grant (SSG)
The Svalbard Strategic Grant is a seed money program aimed at advancing coordination, collaboration and data sharing between researchers with a relevance to Svalbard.
The program is financed by the Research Council of Norway (RCN) and administered by the Svalbard Science Forum (SSF) secretariat in Longyearbyen. A call for proposals is made annually.
The 2023 call opens in February. The deadline for the call is 15 March 2023.
Click link to the call text here.
The program encourages workshops and network projects that advance coordination, collaboration and open sharing of data. Such activities could also include pilot studies and the planning of larger applications and/or projects.
A total of up to NOK 4 million is made available for workshops and network projects. Each proposal may receive a maximum of NOK 500 000.
The application must be submitted by an approved Norwegian research organisation.
Priority in this call will be given to activities that contribute to the following:
- establishing new scientific cooperation and/or monitoring initiatives in Svalbard to fill current knowledge gaps;
- increased mobility and cooperation between research localities in Svalbard (Longyearbyen, Ny-Ålesund, Barentsburg, Hornsund, Bjørnøya and Hopen);
- workshops that are held back-to-back to the Svalbard Science Conference 2023;
- placing Svalbard research in a pan-Arctic and global perspective;
- developing the four Ny-Ålesund flagship programs and other existing scientific cooperation projects in Svalbard;
- data management compliant with SIOS data policy and FAIR Guiding Principles for scientific data management;
- developing sustainable cooperation under the auspices of SIOS.
SIOS offers additional funding to support navigating the hurdles of data management.
Messages at time of print 29 March 2023, 21:12 CEST