Svalbard Strategic Grant allocations 2023
The Research Council of Norway has allocated funding to 10 applications through Svalbard Science Forum's funding program Svalbard Strategic Grant (SSG).
The call in March 2023 had up to NOK 4,0 million for workshops and projects.
Priority in this call were activities that contribute to:
- establishing new scientific cooperation and/or monitoring initiatives in Svalbard to fill current knowledge gaps;
- increased mobility and cooperation between research localities in Svalbard (Longyearbyen, Ny-Ålesund, Barentsburg, Hornsund, Bjørnøya and Hopen);
- workshops that are held back-to-back to the Svalbard Science Conference 2023;
- placing Svalbard research in a pan-Arctic and global perspective;
- developing the four Ny-Ålesund flagship programs and other existing scientific cooperation projects in Svalbard;
- data management compliant with SIOS data policy and FAIR Guiding Principles for scientific data management;
- developing sustainable cooperation under the auspices of SIOS.
SIOS offers additional funding to support navigating the hurdles of data management.
Workshops and other activities that would benefit from a training module on data management were considered for additional funding from SIOS.
The SSF received a total of 11 applications. 10 applications have been funded to a total sum of 3,46 million NOK.
All applications were processed administratively by a panel of external experts with experience from Svalbard. The applications were evaluated based on the criteria and priorities in the call. The final funding decision has been made by the administration in the Research Council of Norway (RCN) and the applications with the best grades were funded.
|Project number||Project title||Responsible institution|
|344823||A Weeklong Hackathon to Develop Spatio-Temporal Models Across the Strategic Objectives of Svalbard||NJORD (UiO)|
|344956||Svalbard Archaeology Symposium 2023||NTNU VITENSKAPSMUSEET|
|345028||Building transdisciplinary bridges for sustainable Svalbard and Arctic development||NORD UNIVERSITET|
|345061||SVALBARD SCIENCE CONFERENCE GLACIOLOGY FLAGSHIP WORKSHOP||NORSK POLARINSTITUTT|
|345091||Fjord Interaction Network in Svalbard||UNIS - Avdeling for arktisk geofysikk|
|345146||Diversity & data - shaping the future of polar research||Seksjon for marked og kommunikasjon (UiT)|
|345173||Workshop on Salmonids in the Svalbard Archipelago (NISh)||NORCE NORWEGIAN RESEARCH CENTRE AS|
|345186||Interdisciplinary collaboration for integrated marine ecosystem monitoring in Kongsfjorden: Hands-on methods training and standardization||NORSK POLARINSTITUTT|
|345242||Research in Svalbard: An APECS Workshop||NORCE Miljø/Klima VESTLAND|
|345289||Glacial and river plume's role in contamination of the Isfjorden coastal waters||NORSK INSTITUTT FOR VANNFORSKNING|
Messages at time of print 8 June 2023, 23:12 CEST