Horisont 2020 - Financial Management and Consultancy
17. September 2019 09:00 - 19. September 2019 15:30
Forskningsrådet, Hassel 2
- Type of event:
- Target group:
OsloMet's Grant Office staff, controllers, Finance Dept., HR, and Payroll personnel
- Registration deadline:
About the event
Course only for UiO: A Level-3 Horizon 2020 Finance event, fully adapted to the needs and requirements of the Client.
Tailormade agenda, including a 1-day or 2-day intensive training course on the financial rules of H2020, reflecting to the organisations administrative and fiscal protocol(s); and a 1 or 2-day Consultancy session, including a H2020 project mock audit, system-level audits and consultancy on the Horizon 2020 costs allocations and reporting of the Beneficiary.
The 3-day schedule includes:
- Introducing the Horizon 2020 financial rules from the very basics to the most advanced issues using a hands-on, real-life approach.
- Optional: advanced workshop on financial reporting, where participants are receiving a package consisting of timesheets, salary slips, invoices, contracts, per-diem certificates, and mission reports for a virtual H2020 project. They will then have to calculate the eligible costs and submit a financial statement.
- Optional: Hands-on discussion on how financial issues shall be handled during reporting,including deviations, errors or other bottleneck.
- “Mock-audit” of a selected Horizon 2020 project of the organisation.
- High-level consultancy and assistance on system-level financial issues concerning Horizon 2020 costs allocations and reporting.
Training course outputs:
- Learn everything about the financial rules of H2020 - find out what is new, what has changed and how to get the most out of your budget.
- Beneficiary level system-audit on Horizon 2020 costs allocations and reporting, with recommended changes and/or adjustments.
- Mock-audit on a selected Horizon 2020 project of the Beneficiary (optional)
Prerequisite: The course is only for OsloMet's Grant Office staff, controllers, Finance Dept., HR, and Payroll personnel.
09:00 – 09:30 Event opening
09:30 – 11:00 Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Financial Rules of Horizon 2020 Part 1: The Basics
Detailed introduction to the financial rules of H2020 with real-life examples:
- Basic facts
- Importance of the budget and of the resources
- Cost vs Price principle
- Basic financial principles in theory and practice
- Form of Grants, Forms of Costs
- Eligible and non-eligible costs with comparison and all exceptions
- Direct and indirect costs
(11:00 – 11:15 Coffee break)
11:15 – 12:15 Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Financial Rules of Horizon 2020 Part 2: The Practicalities
Introducing the cost categories
- Personnel costs calculations – showing the possible ways:
- Employees and other employment contracts
- Financial-year based vs monthly-based calculation
- Number of productive hours to consider
- Additional remuneration
- Bonuses, fringe-benefits and other complements
- Unit-based personnel costs calculation
- In-house consultants and seconded employees
(12:15 – 13:00 Lunch)
13:00 – 14:00 The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Financial Rules of Horizon 2020 Part 2: The Practicalities - CONTINUED
- Subcontracting and other third parties
- Travel costs, Consumables vs. Overheads
- Equipment and assets
- Internally invoiced items
- Indirect costs calculation
14:00 – 14:30 The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Financial Rules of Horizon 2020 Part 3: The Easy stuff
- Funding Rates
- Receipt calculations
- Guarantee Fund
- Certificates on Financial Statements, Certificate on Methodology, etc.
- Payments and Exchange rates
(14:30 – 14:45 Coffee break)
14:45 – 16:00 Discussion on Beneficiary-specific issues
INDICATIVE AGENDA - DAY 2 – Option A
09:00 – 11:00 Workshop: Financial Reporting – Part 1
Introduction - Participants will prepare a financial statement for a virtual Horizon 2020 project, based on “dummy” invoices, salary slips, receipts and bills, time records and certificates, which are generated individually for each participant.
(11:00 – 11:15 Coffee break)
11:15 – 12:30 Understanding the Financial Reports
Pragmatic approaches in reporting; Point-by-point assessment of the prepared financial reports: Format, content; overall principles, possible bottlenecks, what should and should not be included.
(12:30 – 13:30 Lunch)
13:30 – 14:45 How to deal with Financial issues in the Periodic Reports
Step-by-step guide on how to report costs, deal with deviations, and internal allocation issues. Handling the EC requests for clarification, suspension of payments and other issues with hands-on approach.
(14:45 – 15:00 Coffee break)
15:00 – 16:00 Financial Reporting, EC Reviews and Audits
Technical and financial audits and reviews – how do they happen? The Beneficiaries’ Perspective: Pragmatic approaches in financial reporting; Experiences with EC Audits: how to prepare – format, content, overall principles, possible bottlenecks, what should and should not be included, project closure and audits.
INDICATIVE AGENDA - DAY 2 – Option B
09:00 – 16:00 Mock Audit & F2F Financial consultancy
Checking the financial documentation of a selected Horizon 2020 project, including in-depth analysis of the personnel costs calculation, the eligible salary components and productive hours used. Cross-checking the documentation and justifications of any third-party costs, other costs, and internally invoiced items.
High-level financial consultancy, including system-audit-like approach on tracking and calculation of Horizon 2020 project expenditures. Modelling of different personnel costs calculation methods, considering the costs- and time-saving options.
INDICATIVE AGENDA - DAY 3
09:00 – 15:00 Mock Audit & F2F Financial consultancy
Same as Day 2 – Option B