Top-up Financing of Outgoing MSCA Fellows
Published 25 Feb 2020
Download the call
Top-up financing for outgoing MSCA fellows (MSCA-TOPP-UT) is a funding instrument designed to provide more attractive financial conditions for fellows awarded funding under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions.
The Research Council of Norway aims to encourage doctoral students to complete part or all of their doctoral education abroad in an MSCA Innovative Training Network (ITN) and to prompt experienced researchers at the post-doctoral level to conduct a research stay abroad with an MSCA Individual Fellowship. This will enable you to enhance your career development, foster professional independence, and lay the foundation for an international network.
About the call for proposals
The call has an open-ended deadline. We encourage you to send your application soon after you have been informed that you will get funding from MSCA.
Applicants who have already embarked on the MSCA fellowship can only receive funding from the date of applying for Top-up financing.
About Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA)
Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions under Horizon 2020 promote excellence and innovation in researcher training, as well as activities for career development and knowledge transfer across national borders and sectors. Researcher mobility is the cornerstone of the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions. Grant applications may be submitted in all subject areas and the schemes employ an entirely bottom-up thematic approach.
The Norwegian-language call for proposals is the legally binding version.
Who is eligible to apply?
The funding is awarded to individuals who fulfil the "Requirements related to the Project Manager", see below.
Who can participate in the project?
Requirements related to the Project Manager (the person receiving top-up funding)
You must have resided in Norway for at least five of the past eight years at the time of submission of the application for top-up financing.
Special requirements for:
- Individual Fellowship: You must have a doctoral degree from Norway and have been offered an Individual Fellowship (IF) from Research Executive Agency (REA)
- Innovative Training Network: You must have an advanced degree (Master's degree or similar) from Norway and have been offered a position as an Early-stage Researcher/PHD student in an Innovative Training Network (ITN).
What can you seek funding for?
Calculation of the support
Top-up financing is awarded on the basis of the Research Council’s fixed rates for Overseas Research Grants, with/without family. The rate is adjusted according to the country correction coefficient stated in the MSCA work program for the year that the MSCA fellowship was announced.
You will receive the full, adjusted rate for the first 12 months of the MSCA period, after this you will receive 50 per cent of the adjusted rate (month 13 to maximum month 36).
There is no top-up financing for the return phase to Europe/Norway for Global Fellowships under IF.
You may use this excel sheet to calculate the top-up financing that you will receive. The amounts should be entered in the application form, and you should not submit the excel sheet.
Obligation to inform the MSCA/REA
The European Commission requires that all top-up financing is stated in the contract between the researcher/host institution and the European Commission/Research Executive Agency (REA).
You are responsible for contacting the host institution as soon as possible to ensure compliance with this requirement.
Relevant thematic areas for this call
Requirements for this application type
- The applicant/Project Owner must come from an eligible category of institution.
- The grant application must lie within the scope/satisfy the objectives of this call.
- The funding amount sought, expenses to be covered and any own financing to be provided must be in keeping with the framework of the call.
- The budget must be formulated correctly to clearly indicate what the funding will cover.
- The application form must be fully completed.
- The required attachments must be included using the designated templates.
- The project description must provide answers to the items set out in the text of the call.
- The grant application, including all attachments, must be submitted in Norwegian or English.
- All attachments must be in pdf-format.
Applications that do not satisfy the criteria above will be rejected.
- CV for the applicant. Please use the standard template. The CV must clearly document that you have spent at least five of the past eight years in Norway at the time of submission of the application for top-up financing to the Research Council.
in addition you must attach:
either for MSCA Individual fellowship (IF)
- Project description: Section B of the MSCA IF application.
- confirmation of the grant from the Research Executive Agency (REA)
- Ph.D. diploma from a Norwegian institution
Or for MSCA Innovative Training Network (ITN)
- Project description: Use the template and describe the ITN project and the sub-project you are going to carry out, no more than 3 pages. Use the template.
- Confirmation of the grant from the host institution
- Master's degree diploma from a Norwegian institution
Attachments other than those specified above as mandatory or optional, as well as any links to websites in the grant application, will not be included in the application review process. Be careful to upload the correct files into the correct attachment categories on My RCN.
The grant applications will be assessed by the Research Council administration. You can expect to be notified about the outcome within four weeks.
Applications for Top-up Financing of Outgoing MSCA Fellows should be created on My RCN Web. Application templates should be filled and uploaded in the application.Create application