Support for the Establishment and Management of National and International Networks
Published 06 May 2020
Download the call
This is a joint call for proposals for multiple programmes. Thus, the thematic areas under which funding may be sought will vary through the course of the year. As this call has no fixed submission deadline, grant applications will be processed on an ongoing basis. Once all the available funding for a thematic area has been allocated, it will not be possible to seek funding under that area.
The purpose of support for networks is to strengthen collaboration on research and/or innovation between research organisations nationally and internationally, and between research organisations and other relevant stakeholders (companies, public entities or other organisations). Funding is to cover the applicant’s costs relating to the establishment and operation of national networks or international networks involving Norwegian coordination. Funding may also cover the costs of participation by Norwegian organisations in international networks, and participation in and organisation of Norwegian stakeholders’ activities targeted towards strategically important platforms.
About the call for proposals
- establishment and operation of national networks;
- establishment and operation of international networks involving Norwegian coordination;
- Norwegian participation in international networks;
- organisation of Norwegian stakeholders’ activities targeted towards strategically important platforms.
Who is eligible to apply?
Who can participate in the project?
What can you seek funding for?
Funding may be sought to cover the following costs:
- Direct project expenses:
- costs relating to carrying out network activities such as rental of premises and other meeting expenses;
- Payroll expenses for a Norwegian coordinator/project manager in accordance with the Research Council’s rates;
- Procurement of R&D services:
- smaller reports/analyses;
- other services, such as facilitating platforms for communication, interaction or dissemination;
- Other operating expenses:
- travel and accommodation costs for coordinator and participants;
- costs relating to publications or materials.
Funding may be used to cover direct expenses relating to others’ participation in the network/activities based on travel expense forms or invoices, provided the costs are consistent with the intent of the allocation.
Funding may be sought to cover budgeted project costs, not to exceed the maximum amount for the relevant thematic area.
Conditions for funding
A prerequisite for funding is that applicants comply with the Research Council’s General Terms and Conditions for R&D Projects.
Support from the Research Council to a research organisation is to be reserved for the organisation’s non-economic activity, and as such therefore does not constitute state aid. The Research Council requires a clear separation of accounts for the organisation’s economic and non-economic activities.
According to the state aid rules, support to an undertaking constitutes state aid. An “undertaking” in this context is defined as any actor that carries out an economic activity consisting of offering products or services on a given market. When an undertaking receives support to cover a portion of its project costs as the Project Owner, this support must be awarded as de minimis aid, pursuant to Commission Regulation (EU) No 1407/2013 of 18 December 2013. This means that enterprises applying for support must fill in a “Declaration form for de minimis aid”. (The form is found at the end of this call.)
Funding will be disbursed in arrears on the basis of approved progress reports and will cover the actual costs listed above that are recorded in the project accounts.
Relevant thematic areas for this call
This call is open to all the thematic areas below. Special requirements and guidelines may be indicated in some of the thematic areas. Please remember to select the topics most relevant to your project in the grant application form.
Global development and international relations
The purpose of this funding is to disseminate results from recent years’ research on Russia to Norwegian politicians, government administrators, academics and the Norwegian general public. Funding is also to strengthen and promote Norwegian research cooperation within this area to increase Norwegian participation in international calls for proposals.
This call encompasses the thematic areas described in the NORRUSS Pluss work programme under chapters 3.2 “Russian foreign relations, geopolitics and security” and 3.3 “Developments in Russia: politics, economy and society”.
Requirements for grant applications under this thematic area:
- Funding of NOK 2–5 million may be sought per project.
- Projects must have a duration of 3–4 years.
- A CV for the coordinator/project manager using the designated template found at the end of this call.
The Research Council will provide support for 1–2 networks/networking activities under this thematic area.
Climate and polar research
Global environmental challenges, Global climate challenges
We give priority to projects relating to the following research objectives:
- climate and environment
- the polar regions
- outdoor recreation
- cultural heritage and cultural environment
The application must describe
- the network’s international connections and impact
- how the network can benefit other Norwegian research groups in addition to the organisation itself
- what role the project manager/organisation wishes to play in the network
- why it is important to the organisation to participate in the network.
Funding is also available for positions in international research networks. In such case, you must, in addition to the points above, provide a brief description of how the position may be of interest to the research organisation that is applying, and to other Norwegian research groups, and in what way other groups can or will be involved in the work. We can cover travel and accommodation expenses in connection with position.
What can you seek funding for?
- funding scale: NOK 250,000–1,000,000
- duration: 6–29 months
- we do not grant funding for travel and accommodation for participants and the costs of publications or material
- the funding can cover maximum 50 per cent of the direct costs of operating and coordinating the network initiative
- we do not cover costs for R&D activities
- only approved Norwegian research organisations may apply
- seminars/workshops may be included as an activity in the network, but cannot be the main purpose of the network
Requirements for this application type
Please note that it is not possible to revise and resubmit grant applications multiple times for calls for proposals with open-ended submission deadlines. It is therefore important that your application is fully completed before you submit it.
Applications must fulfil the following requirements:
- The applicant/Project Owner must come from an eligible category of institution.
- The grant application must lie within the scope/satisfy the objectives of this call.
- The funding amount sought and the expenses to be covered and any own funding must be in keeping with the framework of the call.
- The budget must be formulated correctly to clearly indicate what the funding will cover.
- The application form must be fully completed.
- The required attachments must be included using the designated templates.
- The project description must provide answers to the items set out in the text of the call.
- Grant applications and all attachments may be submitted in Norwegian or English.
- All attachments must be uploaded in PDF format.
- a project description, using the designated template found at the end of this call;
- for companies defined as “undertakings” in the state aid rules: signed “Declaration form for de minimis aid”, using the designated template found at the end of this call.
Grant applications that do not satisfy the above requirements will be rejected.
- A CV for the coordinator/project manager using the designated template found at the end of this call;
- CVs for key project participants in the network, if required under the relevant thematic area, using the designated template found at the end of this call;
- any other attachments required under the relevant thematic area.
Links to websites and documents, as well as other attachments than those specified above, will not be included in the application review process. There is no technical validation of the content of the attachments you upload, so please make sure that you upload the correct file for the selected type of attachment.
Grant applications will be assessed by the Research Council administration in relation to the following criteria:
• The extent to which the concept is sound, credible and novel.
• The extent to which the project objectives are clear and relevant.
• The quality of the proposed deliverables from the project.
• The extent to which the expected effects are specified.
• The extent to which expected impacts on the system and societal levels are specified.
Knowledge sharing and exploitation
• The quality of the proposed communication and dissemination activities.
• The extent to which it is credible that the proposed outputs will contribute to the specified effects and impact.
• The extent to which the Project Manager and project group are qualified and have the necessary expertise and are positioned to implement the project.
• The extent to which management structures and procedures are appropriate.
Plans and management
• The extent to which the work plan is clear and understandable, and the time table realistic
• The extent to which objectives and measures are coherent.
• The extent to which the project has the support of the leadership of the Project Owner and any partners, and the allocation of roles in the project is clear.
• The extent to which the budget is realistic and appropriate, and resources are allocated so that each of the partners can fulfil their role.
• The extent to which potential risks have been discussed.
Grant applications will be assessed by the Research Council administration.
Notification of the outcome from the Research Council will normally be provided within one month after receipt of the application, unless otherwise specified under the relevant thematic area. For certain activities, grant applications are collected and assessed at set dates throughout the year.
Applications for Support for the Establishment and Management of National and International Networks should be created on My RCN Web. Application templates should be filled and uploaded in the application.Create application