Supplementary Funding for Norwegian Participants in Horizon 2020 Projects
Updated 11 September 2019: Due to multiple enquiries, we would like to clarify the following: Grants under the Scheme for Supplementary Funding for Norwegian Participants in Horizon 2020 Projects may not be used for research, development or innovation activities. If the budget includes payroll and indirect expenses, these should be calculated using the standard rates.
If your ongoing EU project has already been granted supplementary funding under one of the Research Council’s thematic programmes (e.g. BIONÆR, HELSE-EU or KLIMA), it is not permitted to seek funding on the basis of that project under this call.
This is a pilot call for proposals. A similar call will be issued in 2020, assuming that relevant funding has been made available.
Updated 3 September 2019: Applications for supplementary funding must be submitted BEFORE the start of final year of a Horizon 2020 project. The Horizon 2020 project must have activity in 2020 or later. Projects are not required to have a full 12 months of their remaining project period from 1 January 2020 to be eligible for support.
The purpose of this supplementary funding is to encourage a greater number of Norwegian actors to take on a key role in Horizon 2020 projects and to give a wider range of Norwegian actors access to knowledge developed through Horizon 2020 projects. This will increase the impact of Horizon 2020 projects on research, society and trade and industry in Norway.
The target group for this funding is Norwegian participants with a key role in a Horizon 2020 project. This funding must be applied towards independent activities and must not be used as additional funding for the Horizon 2020 project’s activities (see under “What can you seek funding for?” below for more information).
14 Aug 2019
Date call is made active
25 Sep 2019
Application submission deadline
14 Aug 2019
Date call is made active
25 Sep 2019
Application submission deadline
About the call for proposals
The amount of funding (overall budgetary framework) available for this call is NOK 29 million.
The amount of funding sought per project should be between NOK 500 000 to NOK 1 million for a project period of one to two years.
The Norwegian-language call for proposals is the legally binding version
Who is eligible to apply?
Funding is available to actors of all types in any sector with a key role in an ongoing Horizon 2020 project who:
- are serving as project coordinator or work package leader in a Horizon 2020 project; or
- are receiving 15 per cent or more of the EU support allocated to a Horizon 2020 project.
Please note that you may only submit one application for supplementary funding per Horizon 2020 project.
When there is more than one Norwegian actor participating in a Horizon 2020 project, the Research Council requires the interested Norwegian partners to submit a joint application for supplementary funding.
Applications for supplementary funding must be submitted BEFORE the start of final year of a Horizon 2020 project. The Horizon 2020 project must have activity in 2020 or later. Projects are not required to have a full 12 months of their remaining project period from 1 January 2020 to be eligible for support
Who can participate in the project?
Requirements relating to the Project Owner
The organisation is to be listed as the Project Owner in the application form.
Requirements relating to the project manager
The project manager for a project seeking supplementary funding must have a key role in the H2020 project.
Requirements relating to partners
Partners in a project seeking supplementary funding should preferably have key roles in the Horizon2020 project.
We may allow other partners if they provide added value to the project. A description of the value added must be provided in the application.
What can you seek funding for?
Activities approved for a project seeking supplementary funding may include:
- establishment and operation of national networks in connection with the Horizon 2020 project;
- efforts to involve additional Norwegian partners in the Horizon 2020 project;
- participation in specific conferences of relevance to the Horizon 2020 project;
- special initiatives for communicating the results of the Horizon 2020 project, e.g. organising workshops, producing information material, etc.
- other relevant activities to increase the benefit of participating in the Horizon 2020 project.
It is important that the funding sought is used for independent activities which build on the results of the Horizon 2020 project, and does not serve as double financing for activities under the project.
The activities and direct costs associated with the activities listed above will be considered approved costs.
You may apply for support for up to 100 per cent of the budgeted costs for these activities.
Conditions for funding
Support will be awarded to companies as de minimis aid. This means that companies (defined as an “undertaking” in the state aid rules) may receive maximum EUR 200 000 in de minimis aid over a period of three fiscal years.
Prior to disbursement of any de minimis aid, the Research Council will request written confirmation and an overview of all other de minimis aid that the company has received in the course of the three fiscal years in question. For companies that are a part of a group of linked enterprises, the ceiling amount generally applies to the group as a whole. For more information on de minimis aid, see the Commission Regulation (EU) No 1407/2013.
Relevant thematic areas for this call
Requirements for this application type
You may revise and resubmit your grant application form multiple times up to the application submission deadline. We recommend that you submit your application as soon as you have filled in the application form and included all mandatory attachments. After the deadline, it is the most recently submitted version of the grant application that will be processed.
- Grant applications and all attachments, may be submitted in Norwegian or English.
- All attachments must be uploaded in PDF format.
- A project description using the designated template. The designated templates for attachments are available for download at the bottom of this page.
- The project description for the Horizon 2020 project (Part B – to be uploaded in PDF format). (To be uploaded under “Other items” in the online grant application form.)
Grant applications that do not satisfy the above requirements will be rejected.
Links to websites and documents, as well as other attachments than those specified above, will not be included in the application review process. There is no technical validation of the content of the attachments you upload, so please make sure that you upload the correct file for the selected type of attachment.
Grant applications submitted under this call are not subject to full assessment according to the Research Council’s set of established assessment criteria.
Grant applications that satisfy the funding requirements and are otherwise in keeping with the objective of the funding scheme will be prioritised in the following order:
- Project coordinators will be prioritised ahead of work package leaders, who are prioritised over ordinary project participants.
- The amount of the Norwegian participants’ share of the project budget funded under Horizon 2020 (in EUR).
- The overall amount of funding to the Horizon 2020-funded project (in EUR).
All grant applications will be processed by the Research Council administration.
The Research Council administration is responsible for the final decision regarding the approval or rejection of grant proposals.
- The applicant/Project Owner must come from an eligible category of institution.
- The grant application must lie within the scope/satisfy the objectives of this call.
- The funding amount sought, expenses to be covered and any own financing to be provided must be in keeping with the framework of the call.
- The budget must be formulated correctly to clearly indicate what the funding will cover.
- The application form must be fully completed.
- The required attachments must be included using the designated templates.
- The project description must provide answers to the items set out in the text of the call.
- All items in the project description template must be completed. Responses to each item should be as concrete and clear as possible.
The final decision regarding funding is expected to be announced in December 2019.