PES2020 Funding for Travel and Positioning Activities in Horizon 2020 for Norwegian Actors Without an Annual Framework Grant
Published 02 Jul 2019
Applications for support to cover a specific travel activity must be submitted before the activity is carried out.
You may also apply for the following under the PES2020 scheme for project establishment support:
The PES2020 scheme is one of several funding instruments employed by the Research Council to strengthen Norwegian participation under H2020 and improve returns in the form of project funding under H2020. The Research Council offers financial support to Norwegian institutions and companies seeking to participate in events that will provide them with greater insight into the Horizon 2020 framework programme.
Funding from the Research Council is targeted towards increasing interest in Norwegian institutions and companies as partners in future calls for proposals under Horizon 2020, including the Eurostars programme. The objective for participating in the event must be to gain access to new networks and to position yourself as an attractive partner in future H2020 grant applications.
About the call for proposals
The Research Council offers financial support to Norwegian institutions and companies seeking to participate in events that will provide them with greater insight into the Horizon 2020 framework programme. The objective for participating in the event must be to gain access to new networks and to position yourself as an attractive partner in future H2020 grant applications.
The Norwegian-language call for proposals is the legally binding version.
Who is eligible to apply?
Funding is available to all actors in the private or public sector, special interest organisations and institutions that are qualified to participate in a Horizon 2020 project with the exception of institutions that have been allocated an annual framework grant under the PES2020 scheme.
If you have already received a PES2020 grant for a specific H2020 project proposal for a given submission deadline, travel expenses are to be covered under that grant.
When should I apply for Project Establishment Support (PES) vs for travel and positioning activities?
- Activities and travel related to preparation of a specific H2020 project proposal for a given submission deadline: PES2020 Support for the Establishment of Project Proposals Directed towards H2020.
- Travel to find new networks and partners as well as profiling activities at relevant meeting places: PES2020 Funding for Travels and Positioning Activities in Horizon 2020 for Norwegian Actors Without an Annual Framework Grant.
Who can participate in the project?
Funding is available for all actors in the private or public sector, special interest organisations and institutions that are qualified to participate in a Horizon 2020 project with the exception of institutions that have been allocated an annual framework grant under the PES2020 scheme.
What can you seek funding for?
Funding may be awarded to cover:
- Direct costs related to travel and accommodation/board in connection with H2020-related meetings (e.g. Brokerage Events, conferences, congresses as well as smaller meeting places), whose purpose is to identify potential partners for future H2020 projects. Those awarded funding are expected to take active part in the meetings by presenting their own project ideas and areas of interest. Travel expenses will be covered in accordance with the State Travel Allowance Scale.
- Membership fees/registration fees.
- Costs related to exhibit space rental at conferences (must be specified).
The scheme covers travel carried out in Europe (to EU, EEA and associated countries).
Funding may not be used to cover:
- hourly rates;
- activities already supported through other funding from the Research Council or other public stakeholders;
- travel activities that have already been carried out;
- travel expenses for Horizon 2020-relevant events in Norway.
Maximum funding amount
Applicants may seek funding for multiple people to participate in the same event in the same grant application. The maximum amount of support for each individual per calendar year is NOK 20 000. The maximum amount of support allowed per actor is NOK 100 000. The Research Council may award funding to cover up to 100 per cent of approved project costs. Funding will be disbursed in arrears on the basis of reporting of documented expenses.
Conditions for funding
Support from the Research Council to a research organisation is to be reserved for the organisation’s non-economic activity, and as such therefore does not constitute state aid. The Research Council requires a clear separation of accounts for the organisation’s economic and non-economic activities.
De minimis aid
Support will be awarded to companies as de minimis aid. This means that companies (defined as an “undertaking” in the state aid rules) may receive maximum EUR 200 000 in de minimis aid over a period of three fiscal years.
Prior to disbursement of any de minimis aid, the Research Council will request written confirmation and an overview of all other de minimis aid that the company has received in the course of the three fiscal years in question. For companies that are a part of a group of linked enterprises, the ceiling amount generally applies to the group as a whole. For more information on de minimis aid, see the Commission Regulation (EU) No 1407/2013.
Reports and disbursement of funding
The following documentation is required for disbursement of PES2020 funding:
The final report must include:
- A brief report of the activities carried out and the results achieved;
- An online project account report;
- Companies only: A signed declaration form for de minimis aid.
Relevant thematic areas for this call
Funding for increased international participation
Requirements for this application type
A project description (maximum five pages) covering the points below. The information provided for each point should be as specific as possible. Grant applications may be submitted in Norwegian or English.
- The long-term objective of the activity for which funding is being sought and how this is related to Horizon 2020.
- The activities for which funding is being sought. Briefly describe activities related to preparation, profiling and follow-up.
- Names of all participants for whom funding is being sought and a description of their relevant national and international experience.
- If the applicant is a company, describe the finances and resources that will be required to participate in or coordinate a Horizon 2020 project. Among other things, companies must specify how they will cover their own funding requirements in connection with participation in a Horizon 2020 project.
Grant applications will be assessed internally within the Research Council on the basis of the following criteria:
- Is the application targeted towards relevant activities under Horizon 2020?
- Will participation in the described events/activities help to position and increase the visibility of Norwegian Horizon 2020 applicants?
- Will the applicant have the finances and resources required to participate in a Horizon 2020 project?
Applications are processed by the Research Council administration on an ongoing basis, and you will be notified of the decision within 14 days.