Nomination for 2 Postdoctoral Fellowship Positions in Japan
01 Apr 2020
Earliest permitted project start
30 Nov 2020
Latest permitted project start
30 Nov 2022
Latest permitted project completion
The JSPS Mobility Programme seeks to establish and expand contact between Norwegian and Japanese research institutions. Researcher exchange is based on a cooperation agreement between JSPS and the Research Council of Norway.
About the call for proposals
Fellowships may have a duration of 12-24 months (standard fellowship). The postdoctoral research stay must begin in the period from 1 April to 30 November 2020.
Who is eligible to apply?
The Norwegian research organisation applies on behalf of the nominee/candidate. The institution's Project Administrator is the primary contact person for RCN on behalf of JSPS.
Who can participate in the project?
Fellowships may be sought for Norwegian researchers who are qualified for postdoctoral positions. In addition, applicants
- must be affiliated with a Norwegian research organisation;
- must have established contact and agreed on a research plan with researchers in Japan prior to submitting a grant application;
- must have completed their doctorate within the past six years;
- must conduct research within the humanities, social sciences, natural sciences or technology.
Previous recipients of a JSPS postdoctoral fellowship are not eligible to apply for a fellowship again.
What can you seek funding for?
Funding will be awarded to cover the following:
- A round trip air ticket (based on JSPS regulations).
- A monthly maintenance allowance of JPS 362000.
- A settling-in allowance of JPY 200 000.
- Overseas travel, accident and sickness insurance coverage.
Fellowships may have a duration of 12-24 months (standard fellowship). The postdoctoral research stay must begin in the period from 1 April 2020 to 30 November 2020.
Relevant thematic areas for this call
Requirements for this application type
The FY2020 Application Form for JSPS International Fellowships for Research in Japan, Postdoctoral Fellowships for Research in Japan (Standard), is to be filled in, attached and submitted with the electronic grant application to the Research Council of Norway.
Please read all the information from JSPS carefully to ensure that you satisfy the formal requirements and have included all mandatory attachments.
- The Project Owner and Project Manager must be within the categories set out in this call.
- The grant application must lie within the scope of this call.
- The amount sought and any own financing must be in accordance with the requirements set out in this call.
- The budget must be filled in correctly so that it is clear what the amount sought will cover.
- The grant application must be completed in full.
- All attachments must be submitted, using the correct templates.
- The project description must respond to the call.
- The grant application, including all attachments, must be submitted in English.
- All attachments must be uploaded in PDF format.
- The JSPS application form (maximum 10 pages), to be uploaded under "Project description". The template can be found below.
- Other mandatory attachments as specified by JSPS, to be uploaded under "Other items" (no maximum number of pages, but attachments may not exceed 40 Mb)
• The extent to which the concept is sound, credible and novel.
• The extent to which the project objectives are clear and relevant.
• The quality of the proposed deliverables from the project.
• The extent to which the expected effects are specified.
• The extent to which expected impacts on the system and societal levels are specified.
Knowledge sharing and exploitation
• The quality of the proposed communication and dissemination activities.
• The extent to which it is credible that the proposed outputs will contribute to the specified effects and impact.
• The extent to which the Project Manager and project group are qualified and have the necessary expertise and are positioned to implement the project.
• The extent to which management structures and procedures are appropriate.
Plans and management
• The extent to which the work plan is clear and understandable, and the time table realistic
• The extent to which objectives and measures are coherent.
• The extent to which the project has the support of the leadership of the Project Owner and any partners, and the allocation of roles in the project is clear.
• The extent to which the budget is realistic and appropriate, and resources are allocated so that each of the partners can fulfil their role.
• The extent to which potential risks have been discussed.
The Research Council will conduct a preliminary application review and nominate fellowship candidates. JSPS is responsible for taking the final decision on grant allocations. Grant applications that do not satisfy the formal requirements stipulated in the information from JSPS or this call for proposals will be rejected. It is not possible to submit attachments after the application submission deadline has expired.
If an applicant is nominated by the Research Council for the JSPS post-doctoral fellowship, his or her application and mandatory attachments will be forwarded to JSPS for further processing.
Application processing time is normally one month.
Messages at time of print 1 October 2022, 02:58 CEST