Regional science centres
The Research Council administers funding to the regional science centres. A science centre is a popular scientific experience – as well as a learning centre in mathematics, the natural sciences and technology. The centres' primary concern is conveying the excitement of scientific work and experiments, rather than just the scientific results.
The regional science centres' goal is to inspire and motivate children and youth and the general public to learn more about the natural sciences and technology.
The science centres funded under the scheme are to offer high-quality experiences for pupils, students, teachers, parents and the general public in the various region.
There are 12 regional science centres
The Norwegian Aquarium, Ålesund
DuVerden Science Centre, Porsgrunn (in Norwegian)
Inspiria Science Center, Sarpsborg (in Norwegian)
Jærmuseet family of museums, Sandnes og Nærbø
Science Centre of Northern Norway, Tromsø (in Norwegian)
Norwegian Museum of Science and Technology, Oslo
VilVite Science Centre, Bergen
Trondheim Science Centre
Inland Norway Science Centre, Gjøvik (in Norwegian)
Nordland Science Centre, Mo i Rana (in Norwegian)
Science Center South, Arendal
Vitenparken Science and Experience Center, Campus Ås (in Norwegian)
The steering group for the grant scheme for the regional science centers (VITEN)
- Ove Gunnar Drageset, Associate professor, UiT The Arctic University of Norway
- Merethe Frøyland, Head of Department, Norwegian Centre for Science Education
- Leif Lømo, Independent consultant and former special advisor at Statoil
- Hanne Mari Sæther, Principal, Heimdal High School
- Silje Ibsen, Teacher at Risør primary school
The Research Council and the Ministry of Education and Research have drawn up designated guidelines for the scheme.
- Development plan for the regional science centers 2021–2024 (pdf in Norwegian)
- Research Council guidelines (pdf in Norwegian)
- Ministry of Education and Research guidelines (pdf in Norwegian)
- Forenklet årsrapport for vitensentrene 2020 (pdf in Norwegian)
- Sluttrapport for strategiske satsninger 2016-1019 (pdf in Norwegian)
- The VITEN programme’s 2018 Annual Report (pdf in Norwegian)