Research Council activities relating to environmental technology
The main objective of research in this thematic area is to improve the environment. We provide funding for research on technologies that limit pollution, focus on utilisation of materials and resources, and involve changes in processes in order to reduce or prevent environmental problems, and promote more environmentally sound products and processes.
The Project Databank provides statistics and information about the projects funded by the Research Council within this thematic area.
Key programmes for this thematic area
Activities under the Research Council’s programmes extend across multiple thematic areas. The programmes listed here are the largest contributors of funding for this thematic area.
The ENERGIX programme seeks to facilitate the transition to a low-emission society and promote a competitive Norwegian business sector.
- achieve sustainable utilisation and efficient consumption of Norway’s renewable energy resources
- reduce Norwegian and global emissions of greenhouse gases
- enhance Norway’s security of supply
- strengthen innovation in Norwegian trade and industry and the public sector
- further develop Norwegian research and educational institutions
- renewable energy
- raising energy efficiency
- carbon capture and storage
- social sciences
- early full-scale CCS value chain in Europe;
- large-scale storage of CO2 on the Norwegian continental shelf in the North Sea;
- future solutions for CCS.
Infrastructure that facilitates high-quality research.
- electronic infrastructure (e-infrastructure)
- scientific databases
- scientific collections
- scientific equipment
- large-scale research facilities, laboratories
- high potential for value creation for companies and society
- companies willing and motivated to conduct research-based innovation activities
- companies with an international perspective
- companies that dare to take risks
Supports upstream oil and gas activities and has five thematic priority areas:
- greenhouse gas reduction, energy efficiency and the environment
- exploration and increased recovery
- drilling, completions and intervention
- production, processing and transport
- major accidents and the work environment
- help to bring promising R&D results closer to the market
- promote further development of professional, efficient and specialised TTOs
- promote a culture for entrepreneurship and commercialisation
- scientific quality at the forefront of international research
- boldness in scientific thinking and innovation
- careers for young research talents
- knowledge-based value creation
- food security
- safe and healthy food