GEOPOLITIKK-NORD (2008-2012) will generate new knowledge on foreign policy issues of particular relevance to the High North, based on social science perspectives. The funds will be allocated to one research institute that will be responsible for drawing upon expertise from other Norwegian institutes, and from appropriate research groups abroad.
The intention and purpose of the announcement has been to create a project that is to satisfy a set of different criteria. The following aspects ought to be addressed:
• The creation of new insight into the geopolitics of the High North
• The introduction of a broader perspective on the High North
• The development of policy advice on this area (user-orientation)
• The strengthening of international research cooperation on the High North
• The strengthening of cooperation between different research environments in Norway on this area.
The geopolitical aspects of future developments in the North, including the high politics of relations among the actors, the control of energy - in particular - and of maritime resources, and military-strategic relations are considered to be important elements of high politics in the north, and central to this project. The project is also expected to shed light on institutional roles and possible new or alternative institutional arrangements for the region. The project should be the responsibility of a single design leader and coordinator. The project should elaborate on the interests and priorities that are likely to shape the situation in the High North by the end of the project period in 2013. The project should by the end of each year, based on the research so far and on real-world developments, review the issues to be developed further and discuss possible adaptations of plans with the funders.